Hamilton Business Lawyer
Ancaster was established formally in 1792 but
the area now referred to as Ancaster Village had been referred to
informally by local villagers by the more colourful name of Wilson's
Mills. This was in reference to millwright James Wilson who along
with his affluent fur trader, entrepreneur and business partner
Richard Beasley were the primary founders of Ancaster village. With
Beasleyís financial help, Wilson opened a gristmill in 1791 and a
sawmill in 1792. In order to attract workers to his mills, Wilson
needed to provide the social amenities and commercial framework for
an area of land which in that period was nothing more than an
isolated patch of forest with a running stream. Wilson managed to
create the impetus for a community by constructing worker dwellings,
a general store, a blacksmith shop, a distillery and a tavern, all
within walking distance of his mills. As a result Wilson's Mills as
a community began to thrive. To this day the main road that winds
through the historical Ancaster Village still bears Wilson's name.
By 1793 an area of land that contained Wilson's Mills was finally
surveyed and officially came to be known as Ancaster Township as
chosen by the then Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada John Graves
Simcoe. Simcoe was apparently inspired in the name choice by
Peregrine Bertie, the 3rd Duke of Ancaster and Kesteven.
Contact Hamilton business lawyer Christopher Neufeld today at 905-616-8864 or Contact@HamiltonBusinessLawyer.com. Schedule a consultation now, as you start on a new and improved legal strategy to future business success.